Thursday, July 23, 2009

Chapter 7: Using Digital Audio and Video Productions

Podcasts have enhanced the learning environment and has opened avenues to those who lack access to actually being there. Moreover, podcasts provide specific information--cutting through the red-tape; thus, reducing the time spent searching for specifics.

Creating podcasts is an extention of creating digital storytelling---employing the same basic elements of incorporating pictures, sound, music, and text and of manipulating the various layers to achieve the desired results. However, after this week of attempting to create a digital story, I have more empathy for students in my class. For I definitely plan to include digital story in my classes, especially when summarizing what was learned while reading required text. I want to implement digital storytelling by asking students to submit a movie that presents the story as seen through the eyes of the main characters.

I do not know all the digital tools nor how to use most of them; however, I plan to continue seaching websites that are given in our text and will not hesitate to ask April or to twitter Katie for help. Knowing does not always require possessing all the knowledge but also includes howing where to get the understanding----knowing viable sources: April and Katie! =)

I do not feel at all comfortable about using cell phones as a positive learning tool within the classroom, for I fear of cell phone abuse not only in my class but in other classes. I don't want to be responsible for opening Pandora's Box!

Vlogs offers great potential. I have used Skype and enjoy it---I see so much value, especially living and teaching in a rural and rather restricted environment. One of Highland's student teachers checked in regularly with her professor via videocam----simular to today's Skype. If funds are available, I would definitely like to introduce my students to the world of Skyping.

1 comment:

  1. Bette, I completely agree with you about the use of cell phones in the classroom. We have pretty strict policies in our school (which overall I'm very grateful for). However, Skype is a great idea for use in a rural area. I really want to try to find some former Japanese internment camp residents to talk to my students as we're reading Farewell to Manzanar. I also LOVED your idea about using digital storytelling to SUMMARIZE since it forces students to look for the most important ideas. I hope we can keep in touch after this class so you can let me know how your technology usage is working and I can steal your ideas!!!!

    ReplyDelete